Hobart Visitor Information
Welcome to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Hobart is the capital city of Tasmania, an island state located off the south-east coast of Australia. With its stunning natural beauty, pristine coastline, and rich colonial history, Hobart is a truly unique destination.
Getting to Hobart
By air: Hobart has its own international airport with direct flights to several major Australian cities, including Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane.
By sea: There are regular ferry services from the mainland to Hobart. The Spirit of Tasmania operates between Melbourne and Devonport, with a connecting coach to Hobart.
Things to do in Hobart
Visit the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA)
MONA is Australia's largest private museum and is home to a vast and diverse collection of modern and contemporary art. It is a must-visit attraction for all art enthusiasts.
Explore Salamanca Place
A bustling precinct filled with galleries, cafes, restaurants and boutique stores, Salamanca Place is the heart of Hobart's cultural scene.
Take a scenic drive to Mount Wellington
Located just a short drive from Hobart, Mount Wellington offers breathtaking panoramic views of the city and surrounding countryside.
Get back to nature at Freycinet National Park
A three-hour drive from Hobart, Freycinet National Park is home to some of Tasmania's most spectacular natural attractions, including Wineglass Bay and the iconic Hazards.
Where to eat in Hobart
Hobart is renowned for its fresh, locally-produced food and wine. From street food to fine dining, there is something to suit every taste and budget. Some popular dining options include:
- Dier Makr - contemporary, European-inspired cuisine with a focus on local produce
- The Agrarian Kitchen Eatery - farm-to-table dining in an idyllic rural setting
- Fico - Italian-inspired dining with an emphasis on Tasmanian ingredients
Where to stay in Hobart
There are plenty of accommodation options in Hobart, from budget-friendly hostels to luxury hotels. Some popular choices include:
- The Henry Jones Art Hotel - a five-star boutique hotel located in a renovated 19th-century warehouse
- RACV/RACT Hobart Apartment Hotel - modern, self-contained apartments in the heart of the city
- The Backpackers Imperial Hotel - a budget-friendly option with shared and private rooms
Whether you're a lover of art, food, nature, or history, Hobart has something to offer. This unique and charming city is a must-visit destination for anyone travelling to Tasmania or Australia.
Start planning your visit to Hobart today!